9:46 AM

Atmospheres and VP's

Slow day today. I have no classes today and the Vice Principal isn't here, yay! I mean it's not only fun and exciting for me though. When the VP is here, the atmosphere is always quite stifling so I'm always leaving the room and doing something, whether it'd be talking to students or just dropping in random classes. It helps me out because I get to talk to students and I'm not in the room, and it wakes the students up because they get all excited when they see me coming. I remember the first time that the VP wasn't in the office, it was like two months ago...

Whenever you walk in to a room, you have to greet. Whether it's morning, afternoon, whatever, it brings attention to yourself so everyone knows you're here. The person who enters the room is the one who must greet everyone first, then wait for a response back, since that person is the one who's intruding...well okay maybe not intruding, but some people make it feel that way. Some people, after giving a greeting, are ignored. It has nothing to do with that teacher as a person, just if people in the office are too busy, or aren't paying attention, the person entering won't receive a greeting back. I mean the culture insists that you must say some kind of greeting when you walk in, so it sucks to not get a response back, according to Japanese people. There are about 8 regular teachers that are in my office (including the VP), but only like 4 or 5 would be in the office at one time, because of classes and stuff. So when I walk in and greet, only like 2 or so would say anything, and that's okay! As long as one person greets back, then it's acknowledged. When the VP is in the office, that's the norm. Only rarely have I gotten no response, but it doesn't really "hurt" as much as Japanese people describe when it happens to them. Sometimes I would walk in, and the VP wouldn't be at his desk, but there would be books open on his desk that shows that he was there, so that just means he's not in the office and he'll be back soon. So, imagine MY surprise when I walk in, VP's not there, no books out showing that he's there, and when I say my greeting, I get 7 voices at different sound levels greeting me back. So I'm like, okay, what the hell is going on and what's this strange atmosphere of relaxation and amiability? Only to find out that yes, the VP was on a business trip and won't be here for the rest of the day (Wednesday). I'm like, "Oh....(YES!!)," and just the way the teachers were when the VP wasn't there shows that they too feel this weight lifted off of them for 9 hours. This happens two more times in a row and those three days were three of the most relaxing days I've had at the job. The VP is important because he takes care of vacation days, so all teachers have to go to him, ask if it's okay if they can take nenkyuu, then withstand his stupid and unnecessary questions. I mean, it's not only me that thinks that! The Japanese teachers of English and even other teachers tell me all that time, "...he asks questions that make no sense and expect me to answer them," or "he complained that my kanji is too big," and other stuff like that. I mean he did that to me once.

I was getting Golloyds set up (you can send money from your Japanese account, to your home country's account, good stuff), and I needed to photocopy my passport. Most foreigners in Japan know that you have to carry your passport with you at all times, in case you're harassed by a police officer. If you're caught without a passport, the officers will chuckle and put you in jail. After living here for more than a month, you need to get a foreigner ID card and after you get that, you don't have to take your passport with you everywhere, because(of course) you CANNOT lose your passport. So, I had no classes, and it was quite the relaxed day so I wanted to hurry and finish the application. Although I don't think I had to ask him, I was told that I should ask him if I can go back to my apartment and pick up my passport. I don't feel as though I had to, simply because I wanted to do it during lunch time and whatever I do during lunchtime is my business. But anyway, I was told that I should, and I did. I go, "Hi. (while showing him the forms that are in Japanese) I need to complete this form to send money home (which is mad obvious because it's in Japanese, but you have to be specific), and my passport is in my apartment so may I please go get it?" This moron, "Why?" I go, "????....to send money home to my family....here it is on the application that I'm filling out right now that says that I need a copy of my passport." This guy, "Yes, I see that...but why?" I'm like, "???????????" I don't know what the hell he's talking about, it's quite simple really. Then he talks to one of the JTE's in Japanese about me, and obviously I understand him, he indirectly asked me why is my passport in my apartment. I indirectly answered that I don't have to bring my passport everywhere after I get my foreign ID card, if I lose my passport then I can't leave. You would think though, that someone who has dealt with other ALT's and must have for years would f***ing know that. Whatever. I still think I didn't have to ask him.

He's the annoying father figure of EVERYONE, even people slightly older, or the same age as he. It's due to his position of course, but he watches over everyone and jumps on their case if it seems like they're not doing work. He's the one that scolds students AND teachers, so teachers feel an extreme amount of pressure to do well and not be scolded, so I can only imagine how the teachers that are in this room feel. It's quite the position of power, perhaps TOO MUCH power.

So most people at the office have long since mastered the ability of looking busy without actually being busy. It's quite the thick veil, I mean I'm always fooled until I ask one question, and I end up getting speeches and history lessons, all the while thinking, "Yes...this is your fault...you shouldn't have asked about tangerines and Korean snow...." and just patiently wait until it's over before I smile, give a slight "thank you" nod and go back to doing something else. So when the VP comes back, it's back to that stifling atmosphere.

Today though, it's quite relaxed...people are laughing lol...like so. I can't sit in the office all day, despite that, so I'm going to go the crazy kid class since they're going to watch a movie..."You've Got Mail," ugh...I know, but the lady JTE here LOVES Meg Ryan...for whatever reason.

0 comments:

Post a Comment