8:59 AM

My New Office





Well...it's been a whole day since I've switched to this room and I must tell you... I LOVE IT! It's such a huge difference in comparison with the other room I was at for 8 months. Everyone is younger, so everyone isn't so high strung, and some of them know a tiny bit of English and always try and speak it, and when they don't understand what I'm saying they'll come out and say, "Uh..sorry..I don't understand...." and just the overall atmosphere is a complete 180 degrees. I had assumed that every office is like that because I never stayed at any other office, but now I see that it's so unbelievably different! Everytime other teachers come into the office, they always tell me that it's such an oppressive atmosphere and they don't like coming into the office unless they have to get their mail and talk to the vice principal about something. I was in that office, but at least I was an okay distance from the vice principal, the ALT before me was actually at the desk closest to the v.p. so I'm so sure that he hated that desk.





In a previous post when I was talking about atmospheres, I mentioned that it was a slow day so the time just crawls by. In this office, time passes by so quickly! It's because I can actually have light-hearted conversations and joke around without feeling intense pressure from the vice principal. Another younger teacher that was in the office with me, ended up being moved to the same office I was and even he commented that he likes this office so much better. Other people even noticed our change from our switch and commented that "we look happier," I was a bit embarrassed because I didn't know I was so transparent, but then again it was the female Japanese teacher of English and she knows more than other people because I tell her. I actually look forward to going to my desk now, it's so great.

Also, the teacher that I used to sit next to, I saw him when I came back from lunch with teachers from my new office and we spoke for a bit. I asked him if he ate already and where his office is. He said yes and that his office is right next to mine and I should come visit. I said okay, goodbye and WALKED AWAY. You have no idea how good that feels! To be sitting next to a person, who puts pressure on you because the vice principal is watching, and having to be forced to listen to his close-minded drivel, it was great to be able to walk away, return to my desk and not have to see him OR the vice principal. I can regulate how often I see him until classes start, and that's great. I mean, he's serious about teaching English and we work well together when we're in class, but there's just too much of an age and culture barrier that makes communication a bit difficult sometimes.

In any case, class doesn't start for another week, and I don't think I'm going to be team teaching until after that week, so I have plenty of time to prepare for lessons, and I'm going to look forward to thinking of new ideas for students because of the support I get from the office.

I feel such a giant weight lifted from my shoulders once I walk into the office in the morning, and I'm going to try and make damn sure that I don't mess up this almost perfect arrangement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment