7:21 PM

The Students of 1L


Today was quite alright. The final exam is coming in a couple of weeks and it’s my job to do the listening section of the exam. Not a problem. I only had one team teaching class today, but if I have only one class that means that I’m sitting around for the rest of the day. I wouldn’t mind doing that, if I didn’t feel so guilty -.-. Some people like getting paid to do nothing, but it makes me feel like a fraud, not to mention I really don’t mind going to a class and being an assistant for 50 minutes. All I have to do is stand there and look foreign while helping out with pronunciation and telling them small differences about Japan and America.



A strange class that I have this year is the 1L class. The L classes are all girls. 1L, 2L and 3L are all girls because L stands for our equivalent of home and careers. I think the L stands for life…probably. So yeah, normally the L classes have the smartest and most energetic students in the school. However, this class is a little bit different. They’re just as smart as they’re expected to be, but…..they’re so….quiet. Now if you’ve been at a Japanese school, you’ll realize that Japanese girls are just like any other kind of girl; loud and borderline out of control when it comes to their noise making. I always look forward to L classes simply because I know it’s going to be a fun and engaging class where translation from the teacher is rarely even necessary because some students can translate for everyone else. This year’s 1L class clearly understand everything I’m saying, but….they’re unbelievably hesitant to say anything. Huh. Why the hell….


I think I figured it out though, seeing as how they’re just as…quiet…with every other teacher. The female JTE told me that she thinks that they’re all under a lot of pressure and they think that they have to be serious with every class, including English. That’s…actually quite great that they’re taking it seriously. However, they’re taking it to the point in where they don’t really practice speaking English because they’re afraid of making a mistake. Okay…that’s not too great but I see where they’re coming from. They still need to speak English…for ya know…. communication. So, we have to do something to get them just as energetic as any other class. That’s usually why if I don’t have any team teaching classes, I’ll go to the 1L class and assist in hope that they’ll be more inclined to use English if they see me at times where I don’t have to be there. So far it seems to be working and it’s gotten to the point where they’ll actually yell my name out and tell everyone that I’m coming, or I’ll get “Oooooooo….” If they see me walk in lol. Ah….it’s an adventure everyday.

5 comments:

Jones said...

I envy you for your job. Keep up the good work. Thanks for a great post. Hey, some of your students and friends might be interested on these Hawaii Statehood Apparel.

Jasmine said...

Hey babe!
I am thinking of getting a job in Japan, and explore my options while I am young. Teaching english did cross my mind before even though i'm currently working in the finance sector. Just to check, does the JET program covers your accomodation, and living expenses?
Would really hope you can reply.

Tatum said...

Hi! lol
The JET Programme is a job so you'd be working for the money that you get and yes you are provided with an apartment. Usually the apartment have things that have been passed down from JET to JET so it'd be up to you as to whether or not you want to buy new things. They also pay for your plane tickets as well, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just focus on getting in XD. Good luck!

Jasmine said...

Hey babe! Thanks for the info. Do you require at least basic level of japanese conversation skills before one can be qualified? I'm really considering of letting everything go here and go over to japan to study japanese for a year or to take up this JET programme. Do they send you for japanese language classes? Language barrier...

Tatum said...

Well...Japanese isn't required for the program, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you study before you get here. It's not required for the program BUT, it will be required for like...living and getting around without relying on people who do know Japanese; you don't want to be THAT girl who needs to be brought everywhere because you can't get around by yourself. If you get into the program then you can sign up for language classes, you get a book and a CD, but I recommend that you study a lot before you get here because you'd be more concerned with getting to know your area than memorizing katakana and hiragana.

Post a Comment