9:06 PM

...One's Own Drum


The other teachers were trying to figure out a movie to show the students because the semester is winding down. Last year they showed "You've Got Mail" -.-. Ugh. No. It isn't even socially or culturally relevant anymore lol. Not to mention they were knocked out in the first half hour. Awkward. They also suggested showing "Ice Age" or "Shrek." That would be fine, if this were middle school. So...I suggested "Drumline" lol. It's better than their ideas, damnit! It's a part of my culture and I think they would appreciate the "One band, one sound" ideology within the movie. So, I bought it at a giant book/game/DVD/music store here to make sure it has Japanese subtitles and gave it to my supervisor to watch over the weekend. If she likes it, she can vouch for it to other teachers and they'll be passive-aggressively convinced to show it in their classes too. I'm not sure if I'm expecting her to like it, but I can definitely say that I won't be surprised if she wouldn't want to show it. I know it's just "Drumline" and it's not even all that spectacular in the States, but it's a completely different culture, people and beliefs. Perhaps watching this might help destroy some stereotypes, but like I said, I won't be surprised if she wouldn't want the students challenging the same ideas that they were taught in high school about "foreign countries." So...standby and I'll tell you how it goes.

3 comments:

Rainy said...

You Got Mail to high school kids? I hope she let's the kids watch it. Another good one would be You Got Served but I'm not sure if it's rated PG-13 or not. I love those dance movies.

Tatum said...

You've Got Mail is good?? The poor kids fell asleep at around the 20 minute mark. lol
I was reading up on You Got Served since I've never seen it and I'm pretty sure it's too "graphic."
The teacher said that she was going to "fastforward the kissy scene" in Drumline sooo....I dunno about You Got Served lol.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I am from Singapore and awaiting final confirmation that I've been selected for the JET programme this coming Aug 2010. (Obtained local approval but not yet from Tokyo). I chanced across your blog and found it really interesting and insightful and would be glad if you could share some tips on what I need to know / be prepared for should I ultimately make the decision to commit for a year. Many thanks!

Victoria

(my email add is shoppahovic(at)gmail.com)

Post a Comment